Wednesday, December 29, 2010

On the road again....Madurai to Delhi


Ok, everyone says you are gonna get sick in India but isn’t it supposed to be stomach ailments, not the bloody flu? Sure enough, I woke up in the middle of the night on the day we were to leave Madurai and felt terrible, involving headaches, nausea and sweats and a panic attack due to travel plans.  Anyway, once the panic subsided methinks that there is always a bright side: the fact that we were travelling independently meant that we could reschedule things. We had been meaning to go for a two day car adventure through Tamil Nadu, stopping at Karaikuddi for one night and then flying from Tritchy via Chennai (with a five hour stop over) to Delhi.  Decided I wasn’t up for that and we were able to change our flight to a direct flight to Delhi.  India’s budget airlines are way more flexible that Australia’s and so far I am very impressed with them.  I still felt totally foul flying for four hours but it was better than the previous plan.  So when I got to Delhi I collapsed in a heap, seriously only just managing to check in without fainting. I am now embarrassed that I was quite short with the check-in guy but couldn’t he see that I was sliding down the front of the desk onto the floor??? Also I would have been highly infectious that night so if I was him I would have wanted to get rid of me ASAP: the poor guy is probably sick by now.  Fortunately I travel with a comprehensive first aid kit, so I had some Tamiflu, decongestants and anti-nauseants (yes, while you’re thinking it, I probably am certified hypochondriac and am also amazed at the amount of drugs you can take through customs without anyone batting an eyelid). Anyway I took a handful of drugs and hit the sack by 8:30, an unheard of event for me.  Jon was also tired as hell as I had kept him awake all night the night before.  He said he admired me for travelling at all in that condition, for which I loved him quite a bit, as it had indeed taken some determination.
I was nearly too sick (but not quite) to smile about the fact that the first thing you see driving in from Delhi airport is a sign for the “Camel Squadron” of the Indian army, seriously.  You know you are somewhere different.
t

Guys at the chemist shop


No comments:

Post a Comment